In the 16th century Queen Elizabeth 1st acquired 140 acres in Quorn, Leicestershire, part of which was set aside for common land known as Stafford Orchard. The land was eventually purchased, and gifted to the village, by local benefactors in 1922, and is now an attractive park, refurbished by local volunteers with a Heritage Lottery grant in 2010.
The park has a peripheral path for jogging and walking, accessible by all abilities, with strategically placed benches in peaceful gardens and wildflower areas; a skate/BMX street scene for teenagers; a MUGA for soccer and basketball; play equipment for all ages, designed to encourage physical activity; a large unrestricted open grassed area for outdoor games; picnic tables adjacent to a meandering brook; a raised performance space for outdoor events, concerts, drama, bands; natural play areas; avenues of mature and newly planted trees.
A restored old gaol, fire engine house and rebuilt village stocks are located on the entrance plaza and a Victorian mill (now converted into flats) with a mill race and weir straddles Buddon Brook. This meanders through the park and ancient water meadows to its confluence with the River Soar, and is a natural corridor providing habitats, food and shelter for wildlife. A delightful row of Victorian and Edwardian houses and cottages overlooks the northern boundary of the park. Interpretation panels provide local history, heritage, ecology and wildlife information for visitors. There is a tea room in a restored Victorian school at the SE corner of the park.