Mayer Park is a well loved local park, and a feature within the Lower Bebington Conservation Area.
Joseph Mayer, a world-renowned philanthropist moved to Bebington in 1860 and became a local benefactor to the community. Mayer purchased a farm next to his home Pennant House with 7 acres of land. He went on to develop the farmhouse into a Free Library, and its land into a Public Park for the Bebington community, both being opened to the public in April 1869. He also built Mayer Hall around 1879 as an Art Gallery, Museum and Public Hall. On his death in 1886 he bequeathed these precious facilities in the form of The Joseph Mayer Trust who managed them up until 1930 when ownership transferred into the Bebington District Councils care.
The Mayer Park was designed as a tree and shrub park with a variety of exotic trees and shrubs. The main avenue was planted with a line of Horse Chestnut trees either side. Joseph having attended a dinner in St Georges Hall Liverpool in honour of Charles Dickens returned to Bebington and renamed the avenue on the 10th April 1869 Charles Dickens Avenue.