Dunstable Cemetery is situated close to the centre of Dunstable on West Street. The cemetery opened for burial for the people of Dunstable and surrounding areas in 1861 and is still in use today. It has grown in size over many years and now covers 14.5 acres
The older parts of the cemetery are Victorian by design and there are many memorials which are typical of the Victorian era. The first burial, which took place in October 1861, was that of a child, James Turney, the son of a groom from West Street.
The cemetery is split into various burial sections determined by faith and is also home to 48 war graves from the World War conflicts. There are also many notable memorials to local dignitaries’, business leaders and others responsible for influencing the growth and development of the town.
The chapel and office buildings, situated close to the very distinctive yew tree crescent entrance were constructed during the 1860’s. Today one chapel is in use and is available for all faiths. The other chapel was refurbished in 2009 to create an office and reception area.
The cemetery is well managed with close mown grass areas, floral displays, a good collection of notable trees and an abundance of wildlife.
Dunstable Cemetery is a lovely place for quiet contemplation, to observe wildlife or just take a walk through history. You are welcome to visit at any time from dawn to dusk. The office is open weekdays from 8.00am to 4.00pm.